You can call DPfC at 919-403-6960 to schedule an appointment, or come in for a walk-in appointment with an available application counselor at 1201 S. Briggs Ave. Durham, NC 27703.
We are now accepting applications for the 2019-2020 school year. Please call DPfC at 919-403-6960 to schedule an application appointment. Find more information and download the application below.
All Durham County children who have turned four by August 31 of the school year attending are eligible for Durham PreK. Below is Durham PreK’s sliding scale for families:
- Free for families at or below 300% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) based on household size
- Start charging a parent fee at 300% FPL on a flat percent of a family’s gross monthly income
- Use a tiered system that starts the flat percent at 4% at 300% FPL and moves to 7% at 350% FPL
Durham PreK sites completed the provider application process and were chosen based on a rubric that ensured high-quality education for each child. Each classroom will have a Birth-to-Kindergarten Licensed teacher and will follow the high-quality standards determined by the Durham PreK Governance Committee.
Search our interactive map to see which Durham PreK sites are near you!
There are many organizations in Durham County that support families with young children. You can find more information on our Family Resources Page
What do I need to bring to my application appointment?
You will need to bring your child’s birth certificate and immunization records, proof of your current address and proof of one month’s income. More documentation may be required after the application appointment and may be submitted at a later date. You can review the list of all documents needed for a completed application here.
What are the hours for Durham PreK?
Durham PreK follows the Durham Public Schools Traditional Calendar. All sites operate on a 6.5 hour school day, and some sites may offer before and after care. Families will be able to indicate their location preferences during the application appointment.
Would you like to be featured on our website?
- Has Durham PreK helped your family?
- Does your child love their Durham PreK teachers?
- Has one of your child's teachers gone above and beyond to make your family feel welcomed?