Durham PreK Application
The 2023-2024 Durham PreK Application is now open. All children living in Durham County and who will turn 4 years old by August 31, 2023 are eligible to apply.
Application Informational Videos
The 2022-2023 Durham PreK Application is still open! All children who turned 4 years old by August 31, 2022 and who live in Durham County are eligible. Click below to access the application.
- Use the checklist to keep track of your application's required documentation.
- View Checklist (English) (Spanish)
- Durham PreK is Durham's local investment in high quality early childhood experiences. Durham PreK enhances existing pre-K seats and expands eligibility to all families in Durham County.
- In order to apply, your child must live in Durham County and turn 4 years old on or before August 31 of the applying school year
- Learn more about Eligibility and Program Types
- The Family Information Sessions are available for you to learn more about the application and notification processes for Durham PreK.
- Watch the 2023-2024 Information Sessions
- Watch the 2022-2023 Information Sessions
- For most families, preschool services will be free. Families with incomes at and above 400% of the current year's Federal Poverty Level will contribute monthly parent fees based on income and family size. To determine whether and what your monthly parent fee might be, visit the Sliding Scale page.
- View the Sliding Scale
- If you need supporting submitting an application, schedule an application appointment with one of our bilingual application specialists. The Pre-K Application Specialists are bilingual in English and Spanish, and interpretation services are available for families needing support in many other languages by request. We are offering in-person, virtual and evening appointments which typically last 40-50 minutes.
- Call to schedule an appointment
- Email to schedule an appointment
- The goal of Pre-K Q&A is to support families applying for Durham PreK who may have quick questions about their application, required documents, site preferences, and more about Durham PreK. These are designed for questions that can be answered in 20 minutes or less.
- Learn more about Pre-K Q&A
Application Tutorial Video Library
- The application has video tutorials embedded within most steps to help you navigate the tasks. You can also find them on our website and on our YouTube channel.
Frequently Asked Questions
- The FAQ page has answers to commonly asked questions about Durham PreK. If you have a question not listed, you can contact the Durham PreK Information Line at 1-833-773-5338 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- View FAQs
Which pre-K sites are included?
- When you complete a Durham PreK application, you are applying for a pre-K seat in the following types of pre-K classrooms in Durham County:
- Durham Public Schools (DPS)
- Durham Head Start (DHS)
- Community-based Licensed Child Care Programs
- These pre-K seats are supported through local, state and federal funding of DPS, DHS, NC Pre-K, and Durham PreK.
- View Site Locations
Withdrawing an Application
- If you started an application for the 2023-2024 school year and now wish to withdraw from the application process, please complete this form
- If you started an application for the 2022-2023 school year and now wish to withdraw from the application process, please complete this form.
- * NOTE * Submitting either of these form will trigger a closure of your Durham PreK Application. After submission, you will receive an email confirmation through the application portal.
- * ATENCIÓN * Completando este formulario cerrará su aplicación de Durham PreK. Despúes de completar este formulario, usted recibirá una confirmación automatizada por correo electrónico desde el portal de aplicación.