2020-2021 Durham PreK Application
You can now apply online for the 2020-2021 school year. The online application is available in English and Spanish. Please note the following about the online application option:
- The online application is completed through Survey Monkey. Completing the application will take about 20 to 30 minutes. Please complete one application for each applying child in your household.
- You cannot save your application responses once you have started. Please begin this application when you have 20-30 minutes to submit it.
- In order for your online application to be considered complete, you must submit additional documents, including but not limited to your applying child's birth certificate, proof of one month's income and proof of address. Other documents may be required to complete your application. You can view the full list of additional documents that may be required below in our FAQ.
- Instructions, a list of private sites, the Statement of No Income form and mailing, emailing or faxing instructions can be found in the parent packet.
- If you feel overwhelmed with the application, a bilingual counselor can help you through it! Please call 1-833-733-5338 to leave a message at the Durham PreK Information Desk. A counselor will return your call to schedule a virtual application appointment.
- If you have already submitted an application for the 2020-2021 school year, you do not need to submit an online application. The online application serves as an alternative to the paper application to those who prefer to apply online.
- If you prefer to submit a paper application, you can still download the PDF below.
Please find the important 6/26/2020 COVID-19 update here.
2020-2021 Online Application Links
Both the English and Spanish online applications are desktop- and mobile-friendly.
June 12, 2020 Update: Families can now provide an electronic signature to submit their application.
2020-21 Printable Application (PDF)
Durham PreK Online Interest Forms
Would you like for one of our Spanish bilingual preschool application counselors to contact you to set up an application appointment? Please complete our electronic interest form for the 2020-21 school year below, and one of our counselors will contact you!
Due to COVID-19 school closures, we are no longer enrolling for the 2019-2020 school year.
Durham PreK Application FAQ's
Below are answers to some of the frequently asked questions about the Durham PreK Application Process. To view all of our Family FAQ's, click here.
Any family living in Durham County with a child who will be 4 by August 31 of the preschool year is eligible to apply. Eligibility for preschool services in Durham is not limited by income.
You can apply online for the 2020-2021 school year in English or in Spanish or download the paper application here. To receive assistance in completing the application, schedule a virtual application appointment by leaving a message at 1-833-PREK-EDU.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, however, we encourage families to apply by May 15th to be considered for all programs. Families are still able to submit an application after the May 15th deadline, but can only be considered for Durham PreK and NC Pre-K private sites, and Head Start classrooms.
An application appointment is not an interview. During your virtual appointment, an application counselor will help complete your application, provide information on how to submit your documents and answer any additional questions. You can find more information on applying for Durham PreK on our Enrollment page.
(If you do not have an income to report, please be sure to review the parent packet linked above for copies of the Statement of No Income form to be included with the rest of your required documents.)
All families will need to submit the child’s birth certificate, proof of current address (current lease, mortgage statement or utility bill) and proof of one month’s income (one month’s paystubs or letter from employer if paystubs are not available).
The following documents are also considered part of your monthly income, and you will need to provide documentation of any or all that apply to your family:
- Child support (for any child in your household)
- Alimony payments
- Commissioned Sales
- Scholarships or grants
- Proof of parent enrollment in school
- Financial assistance
- W-2 (self-employed) - required to be considered for a Head Start classroom
We understand not every family will have access to all of these documents. If you,
- are residing with a family member
- do not currently have an income
- are self-employed and paid in cash
our application counselors will help you fill out alternate forms needed to complete the application.
Some families may be asked to provide additional information. Examples include:
- Military families – will need to provide one or all of the following documents, if applicable:
- Valid military I.D.
- Separation forms
- Active Duty income paystubs
- Proof of Deployment (current or future)
- Children with additional services – will need to provide one or both of the following documents, if applicable:
- Documentation of a chronic health condition
- Copy of Private Service Plan
Upon receiving a placement offer, families will nee to submit their child's immunization records as part of the enrollment process.
Child citizenship does not determine eligibility. All 4 year old children in Durham County are eligible for all programs, regardless of citizenship status.
Families can choose to leave the citizenship question blank, but it will limit program options for that child to Durham Public Schools, Durham PreK and Head Start.
All in-person pre-K screenings for the Universal Application have been cancelled until further notice due to COVID-19. If you missed your original appointment or if was cancelled, then a pre-K counselor or screener will reach otu to you by phone to complete the family questionnaire portion of the screening. New applications will receive a call within a couple of weeks of submitting the application online, by phone or by mail based on the time preference indicated in your online application.
Calls will likely show up as private because staff are working remotely and are using their personal phones. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
All children who have not yet competed their in-person developmental screening will be screened within 45 days of enrollment in their pre-K program.
For most families, preschool services will be free. For the 2020-2021 school year, families with incomes at and above 400% of the current year's Federal Poverty Level will contribute parent fees based on income and family size. To determine whether and what your parent fee might be, click here to read more about the sliding scale.
For families with more than one child eligible for Durham PreK for the same school year:
- The monthly parent fee for the first child will follow the Durham PreK Sliding Scale based on household income and family size.
- For each additional child, the monthly parent fee will be 50% of the parent fee assigned for the first child.
For example, if you have two children sharing an academic year, and your family size and household income indicate a $300 parent fee, then you will pay $300 per month for one child, and $150 per month for the second child.
To determine what your monthly parent fee may be, please see the Durham PreK Sliding Scale below.
Preschool classrooms in Durham are supported by a mix of programs, including NC Pre-K, Head Start, Durham Public Schools, and Durham PreK. Participating preschool classrooms may be in a public school setting, a Head Start facility, or at a private child care facility that meets certain quality standards. Some facilities will have seats from only one of these programs, others will have a mix of seats. Every child with a Universal Preschool application will receive a developmental screening. The results of the screening, general program eligibility, parent preference, and distance from home are all taken into consideration on during the placement process.
Care outside the preschool day is called Wrap Around care. Wrap Around Care is a separate service from preschool and is neither guaranteed at every facility nor free. Individual preschool providers will determine whether they have the staffing to host Wrap Around Care and for what hours. Families should ask the facility where they are placed whether Wrap Around Care is an option and, if so, make Wrap Around Care arrangements with that facility.
Vouchers and Scholarships can sometimes help to cover Wrap Around Care costs for qualifying families, but eligibility for these services is not guaranteed or universally applicable to all types of preschool.
Click here for the Before and After School Care Information Packet to view the hours and fees at each of the Durham PreK, NC Pre-K and Head Start sites. Durham Public Schools does not currently offer after school care, with the exception of The Whitted School.
2020-2021 School Year
For most families, preschool services will be free. Families with incomes at and above 400% of the current year's Federal Poverty Level will contribute monthly parent fees based on income and family size. To determine whether and what your monthly parent fee might be, follow the steps below.
- Find your family size and your gross annual income (income before taxes) in the chart below.
- If your gross annual income falls under 400% FPL (within the blue column), you will not have a monthly parent fee.
- If your gross annual income falls at or above 400% FPL (within the green column):
- Divide your gross annual income (income before taxes) by 12 to determine monthly income.
- Multiply your monthly income by 4% to determine your monthly parent fee.
A family of any size with a gross annual income over $375,000 is still eligible, but will be assigned a monthly parent fee of $1,250, which matches the maximum monthly cost of each Durham PreK spot. Please note that Federal Poverty Level changes annually and can be referenced here.
|wdt_ID||Family Size||< 400% FPL||400% FPL - Cap of Fees|
|1||2||$0 - 67,639||$67,640 - $375,000|
|2||3||$0 - $85,319||$85,320 - $375,000|
|3||4||$0 - $102,999||$103,000 - $375,000|
|4||5||$0 - $120,679||$120,680 - $375,000|
|5||6||$0 - $138,359||$138,360 - $375,000|
|6||7||$0 - 156,039||$156,040 - $375,000|
|7||8||$0 - $173,719||$173,720 - $375,000|
|8||No Monthly Parent Fee||4% Monthly Parent Fee|