Becoming a Site
We are excited to be working with Durham County Government, Durham’s Partnership for Children, Durham Public Schools, Durham Head Start and numerous other community partners to expand access to high-quality preschool classrooms to Durham’s four-year-olds.
As part of the new Durham PreK investments, Durham will:
- improve quality in preschool programs by funding a variety of quality improvement activities, including paying for coaching and professional development for teachers;
- support higher wages and compensation for those teachers by paying higher reimbursement rates than currently available for NC Pre-K;
- expand access for four-year-old children by paying for new spaces and by increasing eligibility guidelines to include most families; and
- offer a mixed-delivery system of preschool for four-year-olds by partnering with high-quality child care programs in the community, Durham Public Schools and Head Start.
Becoming a Durham PreK Site
How do you become a Durham PreK Site?
The 2020-2022 NC Pre-K and Durham PreK RFAs are now available. Please find the NC Pre-K Application and the Durham PreK Application Addendum below. All programs applying must complete both the application and the addendum with all required supporting documents in order to be considered.
Each applying program is also required to attend one of the RFA Technical Assistance/Help Sessions listed below in order to be considered.
- December 4, 2019 – 9:30 am to 11:00 am
- December 12, 2019 – 9:30 am to 11:00 am
The Technical Assistance/Help Sessions will be held at the Jim and Carolyn Hunt Child Care Resource Center, 1201 S. Briggs Ave. Durham, NC 27703.
Please complete and submit the NC Pre-K Application, Durham PreK Application Addendum and all supporting documents by January 17, 2020 at 5:00 pm. All documents must be mailed or delivered in person to 1201 S. Briggs Ave. Durham, NC 27703. No applications submitted through fax or email will be accepted.
An anonymous FAQ will be posted here after each of the required Technical Assistance/Help Sessions. Please email us with any other questions you may have about the RFA after reviewing the application and addendum. No individual questions about the RFA will be answered after January 10, 2020 at 5:00 pm.
- 2020-2022 NC Pre-K Site Application
- 2020-2022 Durham PreK Site Application Addendum
- RFA Technical Assistance/Help Sesstion Q&A - last updated 12/17/2019
How are classrooms chosen?
A nonconflicting committee reviews all submitted applications using a scoring rubric based on NC Pre-K Standards and Durham PreK Standards and Policies.