Durham PreK Quality Subcommittee
The Quality Subcommittee for Durham PreK is a content-specific advisory committee established by the program's Governance Committee.
All Durham children, regardless or race, ethnicity or socioeconomic status, are reading on grade-level by the end of third grade.
Expand opportunities for all 4-year-old children in Durham to attend high-quality early learning programs.
The Subcommittee studies the latest research and reviews program needs to develop quality standards and policies. The work of the subcommittee is submitted to the Durham PreK Governance Committee for approval. The quality recommendations from Durham's Community Early Education/Preschool Task Force report form the foundation of this subcommittee's work.
Work to Date
- Developed Durham PreK's Family Engagement Standards
- Currently researching strategies to support children with unique needs and challenging behaviors to ensure each classroom is effective in teaching children.
- Future focus areas include curriculum and assessment, dual language learners and their families, culturally competent practices and children's social and emotional development needs.
View the Quality Subcommittee's Standards of Participation here.
Sheila Arias, MamásConPoder Campaign Associate for MomsRising
Leigh Bordley, Executive Director of Latino Educational Achievement Partnership
Linda Chappel, Ed.D., Senior Vice President of Triangle Area Child Care Resources and Referrals, Child Care Services Association
Cathy Collie-Robinson, Director/Instructor of Early Childhood Education at Durham Technical Community College, Board Chair of Durham's Partnership for Children
Wykeshia Glass, Ed.D., Department of Human Sciences Assistant Professor, North Carolina Central University
Brittany Gregory, Director of Programs, Durham's Partnership for Children
Monnie Griggs, MSA, Director of Technical Support, Child Care Services Association
Tammy Jacobs, Educational Programs Manager, Durham Housing Authority
Danielle Johnson, MPH, M.Ed, Executive Director, Durham's Partnership for Children
Jennifer Lacewell, Director, White Rock Child Development Center
Doré LaForett, Ph.D., Advanced Research Scientist, Frank Porter Graham Child Development Institute, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and Senior Research Scientist, Child Trends
Alex Livas-Dlott, Ph.D., Durham PreK Senior Manager, Child Care Services Association
Emily McCormick, MD, Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, Duke University
Beth Messersmith, MPA, NC Senior Campaign DIrector, MamàsConPoder, MomsRising
Melinda Rodriguez, Administrative Manager, Child Care Services Association
Katharine Smith, Durham Head Start, Chapel Hill Training and Outreach Project
Darnella Warthen, M.S, MAT. Owner A New Beginning Early Care and Education Programs
Brenda Williamson, Ph.D., Division of Child Development and Early Education
Quality Subcommittee Meeting Agendas and Notes
- April 16, 2019 Meeting Agenda and Notes
- May 20, 2019 Meeting Agenda and Notes
- June 17, 2019 Meeting Agenda and Notes
- August 14, 2019 Meeting Agenda and Notes
- October 21, 2019 Meeting Agenda and Notes
- December 9, 2019 Meeting Agenda and Notes
- February 5, 2020 Meeting Agenda and Notes
- April 1, 2020 Meeting Agenda and Notes
- June 2, 2020 Meeting Agenda and Notes
- September 10, 2020 Agenda
- November 12, 2020 Agenda